Friday, January 06, 2012

Fitness Friday

I am planning on using Fridays as my day to keep myself accountable for my fitness and health goals. For my first entry I want to give you a little background on my struggles with my weight.

Since I hit puberty I have always had issues with my weight. Looking back now I would kill to be the weight I was back in high school when I thought I was the fattest person on the planet. I have never been big into exercise even though I ran track all 4 years of high school. What saved me during my late teens and early 20s was the fact that my friends and I would go out dancing almost every Friday and Saturday night. After being on the floor for 4 hours or more I worked up quite a sweat and managed to burn enough calories that I maintained a pretty decent weight (about 15 lbs over the “ideal” for my height). I am also very lucky that I am pretty tall at 5’`11” so I can carry a little extra weight.

Then I met my DH and things changed. Suddenly I was not going out to dance as much but of course I did not change my eating habits. However, things did not get really bad until I started my last job in the summer of 2003. It was very stressful and I am a major stress eater. In the first year I worked there I managed to eat my way to a 40 lbs weight gain.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes (probably brought on by this huge weight gain) in June 2007. I was immediately placed on Metformin and managed to lose 30 lbs without having to try. Then I got pregnant with Clark and even though I managed to only gain 20 lbs during my pregnancy my body changed and the Metformin did not work the same anymore.

This year I finally decided that something needed to change. After a few false starts and stops I have managed to work out 5 days a week almost every week for 3 months. I started out with 15 minutes and am now working at 20. I think next week I will go to 25 minutes. I am trying to remember that slow and steady win the race. The weight did not go on overnight so it will not go away overnight either. I have always been an all or nothing person but I have learned that something is better than nothing. For me this is more about health than looks. I mean I would not mind wearing a size that is a single digit but that is not my main goal. I want to be healthy for me, my husband and my son. I want to live a long life so I can hold my grandbabies one day. It should be an interesting journey. Until next time ....

3 comments:

  1. Yay you!! Just be kind to yourself and keep at it. If I can do anything to help, let me know. I've been there, done that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the great work...you can do it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are an inspiration! i'm proud of you for keeping up with the exercise. that's something i'm not good at. :P

    ReplyDelete