Monday, July 03, 2006

The End of an Era

I am warning you now this is not a knitting entry. This is where I get very reminiscent about something that happened today. People who know me know that I love hockey, the Red Wings and especially Steve Yzerman. Heck, my email address is yzermanisgod19 at yahoo dot com. Today he announced his retirement and I am sad. Even though we knew it would happen I couldn't help but hope he would return. I have always been a fan. I was 7 years old when he started playing hockey here. I remember wanting to marry him so badly one day that I cried when I heard he had gotten married - I was 12 or 13 and broken hearted. I finally got to meet him at a signing last year and he was a class act. He was only supposed to sign for 2 hours but signed for several more. I stood in line for 3 hours before I got to him and the line was still out the door when I left. He was still as nice as could be while signing and he took pictures with everyone. A lot of professional athletes, hell celebrities in general, could learn a lot from him. He is truly a nice, down to earth guy - the Kobes, Shaqs and T.O.s of the world could learn a lot from him. I will miss you Stevie - even though it won't hit me until my first game next year. You will always be the captain of our hearts.

1 comment:

Larjmarj said...

Stevie Y rocks! So cool that you got to meet him! What a great guy always the consumate professional.