Monday, November 05, 2012

Apple Breakfast Bread

For some reason yesterday morning I was in the mood to bake something. Maybe it was the time change and cooler weather that was to blame. However, I decided to make this recipe. If you don't want to click on the link here is the recipe.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
2 apples - peeled, cored and chopped 

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan
2)  In a bowl, mix the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs. 
3) In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix into the butter mixture until moistened. Fold in the apples. Transfer to the prepared loaf pan. 
4) Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Some things I did differently from the recipe. 

1) I added another egg. The batter is very thick anyway but it really needed the extra moisture. You could also add some vegetable oil but I was out.
2) Like I said the batter is VERY thick. I am glad I read the reviews or I would have though I did something wrong.
3) I used more cinnamon because we love it. I probably used close to 2 tsp. Next time I may add some nutmeg as well.
4) I didn't peel my apples. Next time I think I will shred them instead because they were not very evenly distributed.
5) I made them as muffins instead of a loaf. I baked them for 20 minutes and got 12 muffins.

All in all these were really yummy. Clark and I have eaten  almost all of them already. Until next time ....

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Yum! I have printed the recipe (with your adjustments), and will be doing some baking! I love fruit breads for a quick snack, and will definitely shred the apples to distribute the flavour, and add the extra egg (dry bread is not my fave...)
Maybe I'll add some cheddar on top...