Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Books Read: July 2017


I am actually managing to write this post on the 1st of the month. May wonders never cease! I am still doing well and I am on track to read 52 books for the year. In July I finished the following 3 books.

1) The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace by Jeff Hobbs – I found this book to be incredibly sad. The author tells the life story of his roommate from Yale. He grew up in in Newark and found it difficult to balance the two worlds he lived in. I appreciate that the author, who grew up white and fairly well off financially, did not try to act like he could imagine what Robert went through in his life. 

2) The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz – an interesting take in the self-help genre. The author discusses the four agreements we need to make with ourselves in order to live a fulfilled life. It was very short and not at all preachy which I like. 

3) Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi – I loved this book. It tells the story of the families of two half-sisters starting in the 1700s in Ghana through to present day. Even though each chapter was dedicated to a different family member I never felt like the previous stories were not wrapped up well. It was an interesting view into the institutions of British colonialism and American slavery.

No comments: