Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Books Read: October 2017

I am slightly behind on my 52 in 52 goal but I think I will be able to make it up with time off for Thanksgiving and the holidays coming up. In October I finished a high of 5 books.

1) Nothing Is Impossible by Christopher Reeve  - I have had this book for many years and never got around to reading it. It is a very interesting look at how his life changed after his accident. I likes that there is a bit of poor me because let's be honest who would not feel that way after what he went through but it is overall a very positive message. And the part about his brief stint with Scientology is hilarious.

2) Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavige Hill - I do not know why but I find books about Scientology so fascinating. The author is the niece of the head of the "church" and she describes growing up in the group. It made me mad the crap the children who are raised in Scientology are put through. As a mother I cannot imagine allowing anyone to separate me from my child for months and sometimes even years at a time.

3) How To Start A Fire by Lisa Lutz - I am not quite sure how I felt about this book. I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads because I do feel that it is well written but I am not sure how I feel about the story. I really disliked all of the main characters and feel like it ended a little to nicely.

4) The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom - another book I have owned forever and never read. It is an interesting concept and a fun little read.

5) Ghostly Lights: Great Lakes Lighthouse Tales of Terror by Annick Hivert-Carthew - a book of short stories based around different lighthouses on the Great Lakes. They are not all traditional ghost stories and a I was grossed out in a couple of places but it was a fairly fun read.

No comments: