Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Books Read: 2nd Quarter 2021


I am one book behind schedule toward my goal of reading 24 books in the year. My old eyes could not handle the small, light print of the second book I was reading in June so it took me awhile to finish. Oh well I still have plenty of time to get back on track. In the 2nd quarter I read the 5 following books.

1) Definitions of Undefinable Things by Whitney Taylor - a fun and interesting look at the relationship between 2 teens dealing with depression and the pregnant ex-girlfriend of one of them. I really though this was a sweet story but it did not sugar coat things either. 

2) Fear by Dirk Kurbjuweit - this is a story that will make you think. I liked how you never really knew if the protagonist was being honest about what happened or if paranoia overtook his thinking. I also liked that the main characters were not very likable, it made it easier to question their intentions and thoughts.

3) An Unlikely Journey: Waking Up From My American Dream by Julian Castro - an interesting memoir by the former San Antonio mayor, cabinet member of the Obama administration and presidential candidate. As the wife of a twin I also enjoyed reading about the relationship between him and his twin brother.

4) The Burning Girl by Claire Messud - I enjoyed this look at the end of a life long friendship once two young girls start middle school and start going down different paths. I guessed the big twist pretty early on but I still found the book to be pretty good and interesting.

5) Casanova's Secret Wife by Barbara Lynn-Davis - I loved this book which took me a bit by surprise. I loved the setting and the author was able to describe the scenery in detail but without getting to bogged down in it. This is one of my favorite books read this year so far.


No comments: