Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Blast From the Past

When I was growing up I was not a crafty kid. I made some Christmas ornaments with my mom, I especially remember the famous clothespin reindeer. However, one thing I used to love to do was latch hook kits. I made a clown and started but never finished one of the famous flying bike scene from E.T.

Fast forward to sometime in 2004. I was newly married and working at a job I absolutely hated. I needed something productive to do with my time or I was going to stress eat my way to 300 lbs. That is when I decided to head to JoAnns and find something crafty to do with my time. I bought a couple of counted cross stitch ornaments, a learn to knit kit and a Winnie The Pooh latch hook kit. I tried to knit but I was not understanding the diagrams and kI needed to take a class to learn. The cross stitch also intimidated me so I did not even try it. Then I turned to my old friend the latch hook kit. I have always known that I wanted to decorate my nursery in Winnie the Pooh so I figured it would be a good wall hanging one day. I did about 7 rows, took that knitting class and put the kit away in my closet until this past weekend.



I have added about 10 rows since Saturday. It takes me about 30-45 minutes to complete a row. I would love to have this done before the baby is born but I am not sure that is going to happen. It is so big that I can only work on it at home but I am loving the reminder of my childhood. Anyone want to take bets on how old this kid will be before this hangs on their wall? Until next time ....

1 comment:

lauriec said...

I LOVED latch hook kits when I was a little girl. So much so that in 02 I picked up one w/ a flag motif. I got about 90% finished & gave up.