Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week Days 1&2

This week is Knitting & Crochet Blog Week. I decided that I need blog material so I will join in the fun.

Starting Out
How and when did you begin knitting/crocheting? was it a skill passed down through generations of your family, or something you learned from Knitting For Dummies? What or who made you pick up the needles/hook for the first time? Was it the celebrity knitting ‘trend’ or your great aunt Hilda?

In 2004 and 2005 I was busy battling depression. I was working at a job I did not like very much and stress eating like it was going out of style. I gained over 50 pounds in a little over a year. I was also dealing with some, as my mom would have put it, "female problems". I finally decided that I needed to do something productive with my time. I read a few blogs where the authors knit (these were more mommy blogs instead of knitting blogs) and was intrigued by it. I bought a Learn to Knit kit, tried it and gave up in frustration. Finally in April 2005 I took a beginner knitting class at JoAnn Fabrics. Little did I know that I was actually knitting correctly and did not need the class but I am glad I took it anyway. I have been hooked ever since.

An Inspirational Pattern
Blog about a pattern or project which you aspire to. Whether it happens to be because the skills needed are ones which you have not yet acquired, or just because it seems like a huge undertaking of time and dedication, most people feel they still have something to aspire to in their craft. If you don’t feel like you have any left of the mountain of learning yet to climb, say so!

For me this has to be the Deep V Argyle Vest by Eunny Jang. I WANT this vest but the thought of knitting it scares the crap out of me. Color work seems like something that is not within my reach at this point. However, I have visions of this vest in a dark blue and chocolate brown combination and I know it would become one of the most worn pieces of clothing in my closet. Maybe in a few years when I am a more grown up knitter I will be able to attempt this pattern.

2 comments:

SissySees said...

Color work. Beautiful pattern though, and I'm sure you can do it!!!

g-girl said...

you can definitely achieve it!