Sunday, March 09, 2014

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken

I have a ton of recipes saved on Pinterest. I am sure that I am not the only person out there who can make this statement. However, in my 2014 quest to clean up my surroundings - both digitally and physically - I am trying to actually use some of these recipes. Earlier this week I made Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken and it was to die for! It was so good that I made it again last night and I very rarely - if ever - make a recipes twice in such a short time frame. 

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
The chicken coating:
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
salt + pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
The sweet and sour sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbs ketchup
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
 
Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Rinse your chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs.  Heat your 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. Place the chicken in a 9×13 greased baking dish. Mix all of your sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken. Bake for one hour and during the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes.
 
This one is going into the regular rotation for sure. Until next time ....

1 comment:

Linda said...

I do a sweet type of chicken also. I don't bread mine. It has a sauce of apricot jam and barbecue sauce - and turns out quite tasty! I make it often - as I know you will yours!!

Linda in VA