Sunday, March 30, 2014

Toe Up Sock Failure

One of my goals for the year is to learn some new knitting techniques. One of the techniques I wanted to try was knitting toe up socks. I had the Don't Cage Me In pattern in my queue for awhile so I started knitting these socks for my New Year cast on.

I should have known things would not go well when I could not figure out how to cast on. I always knit my socks on DPNs and even using online tutorials I could not figure out how to cast on so after a few frustrating attempts I decided to knit these magic loop. A few more attempts were made and I was finally able to cast on correctly. I knit through the foot and went onto the heel and then I realized the socks were coming out way to large. I riped back to the toe and tried to reduce a repeat but things just were not working out correctly. So I made the decision to rip it out totally.

I have decided that I do not like knitting toe up socks. I also learned that I do not like knitting magic loop either - for socks anyway. Since life and knitting time is to short I am not going to knit things I do not enjoy. Even a failure can teach you something. I do like the pattern and feel it can be converted to top down so I will be casting on later - cuff down on my beloved DPNs. Until next time ....

2 comments:

Linda said...

I would so love to learn how to knit socks - toe up down - turned around - LOL! But DPN's and me don't get along. And I find magic look whacky. I can do it sometimes and others I can't!

Linda in VA

Sandra said...

I'm right there with you as far as lie being too short to do things you don't like to do. That said, I knit my socks without heels, then add the heels later., that way, I never have to think while knitting socks! I save the thinking for other knitting...