Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Books Read: June 2017


Again it is the middle of the month before I write my books read post. Oh well life gets in the way sometimes. Darn having to work for a living. I am still on pace to meet my 52 books in 52 weeks goal for this year and I hope I can keep the pace up. In June I finished the following 6 books.

1) Only Love Today: Reminders to Breathe More, Stress Less andChoose Love by Rachel Macy Stafford – in full disclosure I did win this book in a contest on the John O’Leary Facebook page. However, I did enjoy this book. I like how it is broken down into small segments so it does not seem overwhelming. I also enjoy her non-preachy style and that she shows her own faults to us.

2) The Widow by Fiona Barton – an interesting look at how a marriage falls apart after the husband is accused of an unthinkable crime. The main character is quite annoying at times and you wonder if she is just in serious denial or if she does not care. It is also an interesting look at our society and how we love a good scandal story and how that effects those involved.

3) The Farm by Tom Rob Smith – I read this book very quickly and really enjoyed it. It makes you wonder how you would react to a situation that seems to be so impossible but completely possible at the same time. It is also very interesting to see how this book treats the idea of a woman who goes against what a powerful men claim to be the truth. It makes you angry to think that even in 2017 women are still viewed as unstable and not believed when put in certain situations.

4) Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg – I wanted more from this book. The premise seemed really interesting but it fell flat. I was expecting a bit more of a mystery and maybe that was my fault but that is not what it was. The characters were not that interesting and towards the end I really just wanted the book to end.

5) One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp – again I was expecting more from this book. I love her premise of writing a list of 1000 things she is grateful for without repeating anything but her writing style was very choppy to me. This book is also extremely Christian based. I was aware of that going in and it did not really bother me but your mileage may vary. 

6) The Flood Girls by Richard Fifield – another book that I really enjoyed. It was a great look at the quirky characters you find in any small town. Since I grew up in a small town myself I always enjoy books like that. The ending was not what I was expecting and that rarely happens to me.  

1 comment:

A :-) said...

I don't know how you can do this! You're amazing!