Sunday, March 04, 2007

My new addiction

So this week JoAnn's had Paton's Classic Wool on sale so I decided it was time to try my hand at dyeing some yarn. I grabbed two skeins and some other supplies and got started.


I decided to go with the blue to make this a Project Spectrum dye job. I bought some Berry Blue Jell-o and wound my yarn into skeins.






Here is the yarn in the dye bath. It wanted to float until it was saturated. I just made sure to keep stirring it gently to make sure the color was as even as possible.





Here is the end result hanging to dry in the bathroom. I keep going in there to look at it and smell it. I know that I will be doing more of this because it is highly addicting. The next Project Spectrum triad (green, yellow and pink) is a dyeing dream. I still have a box of the Berry Blue Jell-o and a skein of the Classic Wool. Maybe next weekend I will do some hand painting to make a blue and white variegated. Until next time ....

3 comments:

Larjmarj said...

Haven't tried it with jello but I have done kool-aid. Yes, it IS addicting! Fun fun fun! Great color too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's cool. I'm afraid to try it as I might become just as addicted!

Tina said...

That is too cool. So all you need is wool that doesn't have any color. I think I might have to try that some time. Can you only do one skein of the same color or can you get a pretty consistent color for more than one skein.