Thursday, February 06, 2014

It's Ravellenics Time!

I have been thinking about what I want to do for my Ravellenic project this year. My knitting mojo is almost non existent these days so it has been difficult to figure out. While listening to podcasts one day at work the perfect idea came to me. There is a drive to collect hats for Halos of Hope – a charity that gives hats to cancer patients going through chemo. The Knotty Girls podcast put out a throwdown to other podcasters to see which show’s listeners could send in the most hats by the end of Stitches West. Many podcasts have take up the torch and are encouraging their listeners to send in their hats.

I have decided that I want to knit 8 hats for Halos of Hope as my Ravellenic project. This idea comes from a special place in my heart. On February 12th it will be the 14th anniversary of my mom’s death. My mom loved the Olympics and we always watched the games together. She actually passed away during the 2002 Salt Lake games. My mom had cancer and lost her hair during chemo so I thought knitting these hats up would be a good way to have her with me while I watch the games.

Since I am not joining any of the official groups for prizes my Barley hat that is currently on the needles will be hat #1 for my challenge. Since Stitches ends the same day as the Olympics I will try to mail the hats that are finished to the yarn store that is collecting the hats for the podcaster throwdown on Wednesday or Thursday before the end of the games and them I will mail the rest to Halos directly. I am actually looking forward to this so maybe my mojo will return! Until next time ….

No comments: