Thursday, February 05, 2015

Books Read January 2015




In January my reading mojo managed to return. I am starting strong for my 52 in 52 book challenge. Of course I start out strong every year but I am trying to look ahead and not backwards. In the month I read the  following 4 books:

1) Ladies of the Lake by Haywood Smith – the story of 4 sisters with complicated relationships who must spend an entire summer together at their grandmother’s home to inherit her very valuable property.  I really enjoyed this book. There were a couple of times I laughed out loud which I do not do very often. The narrator – Dahlia – was a very likable character and there were a few time I wanted to slap her nemesis Iris for her.

2) How to Knit a Heart Back Home by Rachael Herron – bookstore owner and volunteer EMT Lucy Harrison’s life is turned upside down when her childhood crush Owen Bancroft returns to Cypress Hollow. This book was pretty good but I enjoyed the first book in the series much more. This story felt long and drawn out and rushed at the same time. Overall though it was an enjoyable read.

3) How To Be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward – when 5 year old Ellie disappears the seemingly perfect life of the Winters family unravels. Now an adult oldest daughter Caroline, seeing a picture in a magazine, believes she has found her long lost sister and goes out to find her. There was a lot of drama in this book but some of it seemed really unnecessary. It was one of those reads that I am not sure if I liked it or not but it did make me think.

4) You Knew Me When by Emily Liebert – Katherine Hill has returned to her small Vermont hometown after 12 years as a successful executive. Now she must confront her painful past including the best friend – Laney – she left behind. This book was a really fun read. It flashed back between the future and past but it was not confusing at all like books using this technique can be.  I really enjoyed the characters and even though it had a cheesy ending I still enjoyed it.

No comments: